INTRODUCTION OF GEOGRAPHY
Geography is the study of physical and cultural features which exist on the surface of earth. The word Geography is derived from the Greek word geo (the earth in the broadcast meaning) and graphos (graphy to write about) .Literally, write about Earth ….on the one hand geography is concerned with people.
Geography an education for life and for living.Geography help us to be more environmentally sensitive, better informed and responsible as citizen and employee. And which is very important to improve and conserve our natural world.
Who founded geography ?
Stores of knowledge were build up about search new and exotic places as demonstrated by the Greek philosopher and world traveller Herodotus in the 5th century bce. That knowledge become known as Geography, a term first used as the title of Eratosthenes of cyrene’s book geographica in the 3rd century bce.
Father of geography
Eratosthenes, the ancient Greek scholar is also called the “father of Geography”. .He was the only first one to use the word geography and he also had a small-scale notion of the planet that helped him to determine the circumference of the earth.
Branches of geography
There are mainly two branches of Geography first one is Physical Geography or Natural Geography and Human geography or man made geography.
Physical Geography is the study of understanding of dynamics of landscapes and the environment.
There are following branches of Physical Geography
- Geology :- Geology is the study in which we discuss about the interior of earth and layers.
- Astrography :- In which we study about solar system , Stars , planet etc.
- Geomorphology :- In which we study about shape and structure.
- Exploration Geography :- In which we studied about area which is discoverd by man .
- Zoo geography :- In which we study about animals with respect to Earth .
- Plant Geography :- The branch of Geography in which we discuss about plants.
- Hydrology :- In which we study about water bodies and hydrological cycles .
- Meteorology :- The branch of Geography in which we study about climate.
- Cartography :- Cartography Geography in which we study about maps and map making .
Human Geography is the study in which understanding of dynamic of culture ,societies and economics.
There are several branches of Human Geography
- Economic Geography :- The branch of Geography in which we study about economy of countries and natural resources.
- Political Geography :- The branch of Geography in which we study about different boundaries of countries . Example :- Durand line between Afghanistan and Pakistan
- Settlement Geography :- The Geography in which we discuss about settlement of rural and urban development.
- Statistical Geography :- The statistical Geography in which we discuss about Geographical data in the form of bars and charts .
- Industrial Geography :- In which we study about industrial development .
- Agriculture Geography :- Study of soil , weather conditions etc .
- Regional Geography :- the regional Geography in which we discuss about region like medeterian region etc .
- Social , Racial , Cultural geography :- In which we study about different aspects and different areas culture.
- Population Geography :- The population Geography in which we study about population density and areas annual growth rate .