What is Mass Media
Mass media refers to a diverse array of media technologies that reach a large audience via mass communication. The technologies through which this communication takes place include a variety of outlets.
Characteristics of Mass Media
Mass Media comprises a wide range of media technologies to disseminate or reach over a larger audience through mass communication. The major characteristics of Mass Media are:
- Communication is mostly one way
- Audience has great deal of choice
- Reach large and vast audiences
- Aim messages to attract largest audience possible
- Influence society and are, in turn, influenced by society
Functions of Mass Media
Mass media has been one of the most significant forces in modern culture. Here are the important functions of Mass Media:
- Mass media plays a crucial role in shaping how we view the world.
- Intensive use of mass media has resulted in the world to appear smaller and closer.
- The fundamental objectives of mass media are to inform, educate and entertain the masses.
- Media is the watchdog of society.
- Mass media works to transmit heritage and cultural values.
- The rise of new mass media creates a global platform to bring people together.
Types of Mass Media
There are 6 main types of Mass Media:
- Traditional Media
- Print Media
- Electronic/Broadcasting Media
- Outdoor Media or Out of Home Media (OOH)
- video games
- Audio recording and reproduction
People have developed different ways of communication depending upon their local language and culture. Traditional media is one of the oldest types of mass media to transfer traditions and culture over generations. Traditional media imparts indigenous ways of communication for ages.
Print media is one of the basic types of mass media tools making it very popular and convenient to reach a wider audience.
Electronic Broadcasting Media
Broadcasting is simply a distribution of audio and video content to a dispersed audience using the electronic broadcasting medium.
Digitally-enabled OOH media uses location-based data to understand the audiences that are within view of the ad. today, it includes dynamic content on digital screens in typical billboard locations, bus stops, gas stations, airports, mall kiosks, subway platforms, and even the sides of buses or cars. Essentially, anywhere consumers can interact with branded content in public, OOH media opportunities exist.
It’s designed to grab the attention of people who are on the go or waiting in high dwell-time locations (think waiting rooms, airport terminals, or subway platforms).
Audio recording and reproduction
Audio recording is the process by which sound information is captured onto a storage medium like magnetic tape, optical disc, or solid-state drive (SSD). The captured information—audio—is made audible via playback machines and loudspeaker systems.
A video game is interactive digital entertainment that you “play” via a computer, a game console (like the Xbox or PlayStation) or a phone or tablet. As the new person covering video games for TheWrap, I aim to provide good explanations for you, our readers.