There are six types of computer software.
Types of Computer Software
1. System software 2. Real-time software 3. Business software 4. Embedded software 5. Web-based software 6. Artificial intelligence software
1. System Software
- The system software is a type of computer program that is design to provide a platform for other software.
- System software refers to the files and programs that make up your computer’s operating system.
- The system software is the interface between the hardware and user applications.
- System software is used to run the computer’s basic functions so users can run higher-level application software to perform certain tasks.
- Examples of system software include operating systems like macOS, Linux, Android, and Windows.
2. Real-time Software
- The real-time software refers to programs that can perform their assigned duties and functions right when they are assigned to run their given processes.
- Real-time software programs run automatically after they have their settings configured.
- They also accommodate changes being done on them by the user in the present time.
3. Business Software
- Business information processing is the largest single software application area.
- In a broad sense, business software is an integrated software and has many components related to a particular field of the business.
- Applications in this area restructure existing data in a way that facilitates business operations or management decision-making.
4. Embedded Software
- The embedded software resides in read-only memory and is uses to control products and systems for the consumer and industrial markets.
- Embedded softwre can perform very limited and esotric functions (e.g., keypad control for microwave oven) or provide significant function and control capability (e.g., digital functions in an automobile).
5. Web-based Software
- Web-based software is software that runs on a server; while users connect to it using: an Internet browser.
- User’s don’t have to install anything or download any software.
- The web-based software are programmed using a client-server modeled structure.
- E-mail, social networking sites, and online shops are some examples of web-based software.
6. Artificial intelligence Software
- Artificial intelligence (AT) software is the software, which thinks and behaves like a human.
- Al software makes use of non-numerical algorithms to solve complex problems that are not amenable to computation or straightforward analysis.
- Expert systems, pattern recognition (image and voice), artificial neural networks, theorem proving, and game-playing are some of the examples of AI software.
Read more about the COCOMO model