Cyber security is the practice of defending computers, servers, mobile devices, electronic systems, networks, and data from malicious attacks.
Network security the practice of securing a computer network from intruders.
Application security focuses on keeping software and devices free of threats. A compromised application could provide access to the data its designed to protect.
Operational security includes the processes and decisions for handling and protecting data assets.
End-user education addresses the most unpredictable cyber-security factor: people.
Types of cyber threats
The threats countered by cyber-security are three-fold:
1.Cybercrime includes single actors or groups targeting systems for financial gain or to cause disruption.
2. Cyber-attack often involves politically motivated information gathering.
There are a number of different types of malware, including:
Virus: A self-replicating program that attaches itself to clean file and spreads throughout a computer system.
Trojans : Cybercriminals trick users into uploading Trojans onto their computer where they cause damage or collect data.
Botnets: Networks of malware infected computers which cybercriminals use to perform tasks online without the user’s permission.
An SQL (structured language query) and steal data from a database. Cybercriminals exploit vulnerabilities in data-driven applications to insert malicious code into a databased via a malicious SQL statement. This gives them access to the sensitive information contained in the database.
End-user protection or endpoint security is a crucial aspect of cyber security.
First, cyber-security relies on cryptographic protocols to encrypt emails, files, and other critical data.
Security programs continue to evolve new defenses as cyber-security professionals identify new threats and new ways to combat them. Crucially, keeping it running and updating it frequently ensures that it can protect users against the latest cyber threats.
Cyber safety tips – protect yourself against cyberattacks
How can businesses and individuals guard against cyber threats? Here are our top cyber safety tips:
1. Update your software and operating system:This means you benefit from the latest security patches.
2. Use anti-virus software: Security solutions like Kaspersky total security will detect and removes threats. Keep your software updated for the best level of protection.
3. Use strong passwords:Ensure your passwords are not easily guessable.
4. Do not open email attachments from unknown senders: These could be infected with malware.
5. Avoid using unsecure WIFI networks in public places: Unsecure networks leave you vulnerable to man-in-the-middle attacks.